Monday, October 1, 2012

Reading List: September

September has been a curious month. I was predominantly unwell, went flaneuring in an alien city, changed cities on very short notice, finished work, lived through another birthday, and so on. Until I returned to Calcutta, I hadn't had enough reading done to pacify my poor battered soul. After home-coming, the debris of depression settled down, and I found myself craving for classic Brit children's litt. -- the ones I grew up reading. Not possessing all the Enid Blytons, I went on a random reading spree during the third week, until I collected my thoughts and settled down to more focussed, light, but beautiful reading. I'm sure the list will show the capriciousness.

1. Tintin the Freelance Reporter
2. Tintin in the Land of the Soviets -- Herge
3. Tintin in America -- Herge
4. Five on a Treasure Island -- Enid Blyton
5. Asterix the Gaul -- Goseinny and Uderzo
6. Aunts aren't Gentlemen -- P. G. Wodehouse
7. The Railway Chidren -- Edith Nesbit
8. The Secret Garden -- Frances Hodgson Burnett
9. The Inimitable Jeeves -- P. G. Wodehouse

I am reading Wodehouse again after so many years, and I can barely contain my excitement. My reading spills into my laptop, and every time I turn it on, it is only to watch Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry as Wooster and Jeeves respectively in the brilliant TV series. I'm also on the verge of taking out my copies of James Herriot, dusting them, and gobbling them up, and the only reason why I can still concentrate on my German lessons and 19th century social history is the promise of watching Christopher Timothy, Robert Hardy, and a dishy Peter Davison in the ubiquitous TV series All Creatures Great and Small, any time I want to.

5 comments:

  1. I've just had returned after long abscence the complete DVD box-set of Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry's 1990's interpretation of Jeeves and Wooster. P.G. Wodehouse was a master of prose, his books are of an imagined society of delighful characters living in an England long gone.

    It's a tonic to return to reading early and well-loved books if not too unwell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P. G. Wodehouse introduced me to British humour, and for that reason alone (if nothing else), I'll always be indebted to him. When I was in high school, the only aspect of western television that was filtered in India was very bad American crime tv (which is still aired, btw) and third-grade humour. And then I read about Blandings Castle in Shropshire, Lord Emsworth, the butler Beach, and the remarkable way in which events and characters get entangled.

    Reading and rereading Wodehouse and Agatha Christie (though completely different genres) are therapeutic, and thankfully will always be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so envy you woman. My September list will be a long list comprising of only half-read books. So very distracted I have become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't complain. I'm not the one editing exciting manuscripts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it depends on the psychology of the individual! -- Jeeves. :)

    ReplyDelete